Posts for tag: root canals
The thought that your tooth requires a root canal can send visions of a painful procedure and hours in the dentist’s chair into your mind. However, separating fact from fiction can help you prepare for your root canal and understand that the scary and daunting feelings associated with a root canal are normally just myths. Find out the real facts behind a root canal with Anderson & Hoffner Dental Center in Findlay, OH.
Root Canals: Fact Versus Fiction
- Fact: A root canal can preserve your tooth’s natural structure. A root canal is the only way to preserve a severely decayed tooth’s natural shape and root. During the treatment, your dentist removes the infected tissue from the inside of the tooth, cleans it out, and fills it from the bottom of the root up. This process keeps your tooth in its original location and allows you to maintain your mouth’s bite.
- Fiction: Root canals are very painful. The very first step your dentist performs during a root canal is administering local anesthetic to the work site to numb the tissues. This ensures that you will feel no pain or discomfort during your procedure.
- Fact: A root canal helps prevent further damage to your tooth. Root canal therapy usually utilizes the help of a dental crown after the procedure. The crown, fitted around the tooth, helps protect the tooth from damage, stabilize it against everyday use and properly realigns your bite.
- Fiction: Extraction is a better option than a root canal. Many serious side effects like bone atrophy come with tooth extraction. While simply removing the tooth may seem like an easier procedure than a root canal, in the long run, preserving your tooth has many more benefits than losing it altogether.
Root Canal Treatments in Findlay, OH
One of the most obvious signs you require a root canal is a toothache. If you have a toothache, you should consult with your dentist as soon as possible to determine if a root canal is right for you. You could prevent the need for a root canal by visiting your dentist the recommended twice a year for regular examinations and cleanings. These check-ups give your dentist the chance to catch problems before they become complex enough to require procedures like a root canal.
For more information on root canals, please contact Dr. Bill Anderson and Dr. Austin Hoffner at Anderson & Hoffner Dental Center in Findlay, OH. Call (419) 424-5850 to schedule your appointment with your dentist today!
What your dentists in Findlay, Ohio want you to know about root canals
If you have damaged or decayed teeth, it’s time to make them healthy again with root canal therapy. Your dentists at Anderson & Hoffner Dental Center in Findlay, Ohio want to share how root canals can make your teeth healthier.
A root canal removes diseased and bacteria-laden tissue from inside your tooth, while still allowing you to keep your tooth. Not too long ago, the only choice for badly decayed or damaged teeth was to have them removed. Then you would be left with having to replace them with dental implants or bridgework. There is another choice, root canal therapy! With root canal therapy you can save your tooth.
You may need a root canal if you feel:
- Pain that doesn’t go away after eating hot or cold foods
- Sharp pain when you bite down
- Severe throbbing pain and pressure that doesn’t go away
- Swelling in your gums around a tooth or teeth
These are just some of the signs you may need a root canal, but an infected tooth can also have no painful symptoms at all. Teeth can begin to die naturally, for no apparent reason, or from trauma. If you have a tooth that begins to look gray or dark, it may need root canal treatment.
Your dentists in Findlay, Ohio begin your root canal treatment by creating a small opening in the top of your tooth. They remove the diseased tissue using small instruments called files. Your tooth is then filled with an inert, rubbery material and resealed. Typical root canal treatment takes between one and three appointments depending on the severity of the infection.
You deserve to have a beautiful, healthy smile. Root canal therapy is the solution to removing bacteria and disease from your teeth, but still keeping your smile intact. For more information about the benefits of root canal therapy call your dentists Dr. Bill Anderson and Dr. Austin Hoffner at Anderson & Hoffner Dental Center in Findlay, Ohio. Call today and get your healthy smile!